THOUGHT VIBRATION/PART 13

 

CHAPTER 13.

THE  ATTRACTIVE  POWER—DESIRE FORCE

WE HAVE discussed the necessity  of  getting  rid  of  fear,  that  your  desire may have  full  strength  with  which  to  work.  Supposing  that  you  have mastered  this  part  of  the  task,  or at least started  on  the  road  to  mastery,  I will now  call  your  attention  to another  important  branch  of the  subject.  I allude  to  the  subject  of mental  leaks.  No,  I don't  mean the  leakage  arising from  your  failure  to keep  your  own  secrets—that  is also important, but forms another story. The leakage I  am  now  referring to is  that  occasioned by  the  habit of  having the attention  attracted  to  and  distracted  by every passing  fancy.

In  order  to attain  a  thing it  is  necessary  that  the  mind  should  fall  in  love with it,  and  be conscious  of  its  existence,  almost  to  the exclusion  of everything else.  You  must  get  in  love  with  the thing you  wish to attain, just  as  much as  you  would  if  you  were to meet  the girl  or man  you  wished to  marry.

I do not mean  that  you  should  become a  monomaniac  upon  the  subject, and  should  lose all  interest  in  everything else in  the world—that  won't do, for the mind  must  have  recreation  and  change.  But,  I  do mean  that you  must  be so "set"  upon  the desired  thing that  all else will  seem  of secondary importance.  A man  in  love may  be pleasant  to  everyone else, and may go through the duties  and  pleasures of life  with  good spirit,  but underneath it all he is humming to himself  'Just  One Girl;"  and  every one of  his  actions  is  bent  toward  getting that  girl,  and  making a comfortable home for her. Do you  see what  I  mean?  You  must  get  in  love with  the thing you  want,  and  you  must  get  in  love with it  in  earnest—none of this latter-day flirting, "on-today and off-tomorrow"  sort  of  love, but  the good  old-fashioned  kind,  that  used  to  make  it  impossible for  a young man  to get  to sleep  unless  he took  a  walk  around  his best  girl's house,  just  to  be sure it  was  still there.  That's  the real kind!

And the man  or  woman  in  search of  success  must  make  of  that  desired thing his  ruling passion—he  must  keep  his  mind  on  the  main  chance. Success is jealous—that's why we speak  of  her  as  feminine.  She demands a man's whole affection, and if  he begins  flirting  with other  fair charmers,  she soon  turns  her back  upon  him.  If  a  man  allows  his  strong interest  in  the main  chance to be sidetracked,  he will be  the loser.  Mental Force operates  best  when  it  is  concentrated.  You  must  give to the  desired thing your best and most earnest thought. Just as the man who is thoroughly in  love will think  out  plans  and  schemes  whereby he may please the fair one, so will the man who is in love with his  work  or business  give it  his  best  thought,  and  the result  will  be that  a  hundred and one  plans will  come  into  his field of consciousness,  many of which are very  important.  The mind  works  on  the subconscious  plane, remember,  and  almost  always  along  the lines  of  the ruling passion  or desire.  It  will fix up  things,  and patch  together  plans and  schemes,  and when you  need  them  the  most  it  will  pop  them  into your  consciousness, and you  will feel like  hurrahing,  just  as if you  had received some  valuable aid  from  outside.

But  if  you  scatter  your  thought-force,  the  subconscious mind will  not know just  how  to please you,  and  the  result  is  that  you  are apt  to be  put off from  this source  of aid  and assistance.  Beside  this,  you  will miss the powerful  result  of  concentrated  thought  in  the  conscious  working  out  of the details  of  your  plans.  And  then  again  the man  whose mind  is  full of  a dozen  interests  fails  to exert  the attracting power  that  is  manifested  by the man  of  the one ruling passion,  and  he fails  to draw  to him  persons, things,  and results  that  will  aid in the  working  out  of his plans,  and  will also fail  to place himself  in  the current  of  attraction  whereby  he is brought  into contact  with those who will be glad  to help  him  because of harmonious  interests.

I  have noticed,  in  my  own affairs,  that  when I  would allow myself to  be side-tracked by  anything  outside  of my regular  line  of work,  it  would be only a  short  time before my  receipts  dropped  off,  and  my  business showed signs of a  lack  of vitality. Now, many may say that this was because I  left  undone some things  that  I  would  have done if  my  mind had  been  centered  on  the business.  This  is  true;  but  I  have noticed  like results  in  cases  where there  was nothing to be done—cases  in  which the seed was sown,  and the  crop  was  awaited.  And,  in just  such  cases,  as soon  as  I  directed  my  thought  to  the  matter  the seed  began  to sprout.  I do not  mean  that  I  had  to  send  out  great  mental waves  with  the idea  of affecting  people—not a  bit of  it.  I  simply  began  to  realize  what  a good thing I  had,  and  how  much people wanted  it,  and  how  glad  they  would  be to know  of  it,  and  all  that  sort  of  thing,  and  lo!  my thought  seemed  to vitalize  the work,  and  the seed  began  to sprout.  This  is  no mere fancy,  for I  have experienced  it  on  several  occasions;  I  have spoken to many others on the subject, and I find that  our experiences  tally perfectly. So don't get into the habit of permitting these mental  leaks.  Keep  your  Desire fresh and  active,  and  let  it  get  in  its  work  without  interference from  conflicting desires.  Keep  in  love with  the thing you  wish to  attain—feed your  fancy with  it—see  it  as accomplished already,  but  don't  lose your  interest.  Keep your  eye on  the main  chance,  and  keep  your  one ruling  passion  strong and  vigorous.  Don't  be a  mental polygamist—one mental love is  all  that  a man needs—that  is,  one  at  a  time.

Some scientists have  claimed  that  something  that  might  as well be  called "Love"  is  at  the bottom  of  the whole of  life.  They claim  that  the love of the plant  for  water  causes  it  to send  forth its  roots  until  the loved  thing is found.  They say that  the love  of  the flower  for  the sun,  causes  it  to  grow away from  the dark  places,  so that  it  may  receive the light.  The so-called "chemical  affinities"  are  really  a  form  of love.  And Desire  is a manifestation  of  this  Universal  Life Love.  So I  am  not  using a  mere  figure of  speech when  I  tell you  that  you  must  love the thing you wish to attain. Nothing but intense love will enable you to surmount  the many  obstacles placed  in  your  path.  Nothing  but  that  love will enable you  to  bear  the burdens  of  the task.  The more Desire you  have for  a  thing,  the more you Love it;  and  the more you  Love it,  the  greater  will be the  attractive force exerted  toward  its  attainment—both  within yourself,  and outside  of you.

So love but  one thing at  a  time—don't  be a  mental  Mormon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ASTRAL PLANE/COMPLETE

THE ART OF LOGICAL THINKING/COMPLETE

A STUDY IN KARMA/PART 27